Missed attending this years Global Adolescent Health Conference in Ottawa? You can relive every moment of the conference via the CanWaCH YouTube Channel. All sessions – keynotes, plenaries and breakouts – are available to watch here.
Below you will find direct links to sessions that our Commissioners presented.
Using Accountability to Advocate for Adolescents
What are the ingredients needed to develop functional accountability mechanisms that monitor, review and act against organizational, global and national commitments? This interactive session will provide participants with resources to help build stronger advocacy and accountability mechanisms, including highlighting an innovative program of data collection from youth themselves through UNICEF’s U report.
Moderator: Prof. George Patton, Chair, Lancet Commission on Adolescent Health and Wellbeing and University of Melbourne, Australia
- Dr. Zulfiqar Bhutta, Co-Director & Inaugural Robert Harding Chair, SickKids Centre for Global Child Health and Founding Director, Centre for Excellence in Women and Child Health, Aga Khan University
- Caroline Riseboro, President & CEO, Plan International Canada
- Marion Cosquer, UNICEF’s U Report Youth Participant, France
Mental Health for Adolescents: A Call to Action
Mental health issues are the leading causes of death and disability in youth globally. New knowledge from neuroscience and public health is transforming our understanding of why most mental health problems affect youth. This knowledge forms the foundation for an evidence based approach to preventing mental health problems through an inter-sectoral approach, with young people at the heart of the agenda.
- Dr. Vikram Patel, Professor of Global Health and Social Medicine, Department of Global Health and Social Medicine, Harvard Medical School
How do we pay for this? Financing Adolescent Health
This interactive discussion will address actions needed to secure equitable, gender responsive investments for adolescent health. It will present recent findings that support a positive return on investments for adolescent health, discuss how to pay for the SDG and EWEC targets, and look at financing on development through both the funding arm of the Global Strategy, the Global Financing Facility, and complimentary and parallel financing mechanisms which will be important to address financing gaps in humanitarian and fragile settings.
Moderator: Julia Sánchez, President & CEO, Canadian Council for International Co-operation (CCIC)
- Ambassador Marc-André Blanchard, Canada’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations
- Prof. George Patton, Chair, Lancet Commission on Adolescent Health and Wellbeing and University of Melbourne, Australia
- Mariam Claeson, Director, Global Financing Facility
- Dr. Emanuele Capobianco, Deputy Executive Director, Partnership for Maternal, Newborn and Child Health